Technip technology selected for gas cracking ethylene plant in China
Leveraging its expertise in proprietary technology and equipment
Technip announced today that it has entered into a contract to supply its proprietary ethylene technology, Process Design Package, technical services and proprietary equipment to SP Olefins (Taixing) Co. Ltd, a subsidiary of SP Chemicals(1), for a 650 KTA grassroots gas cracker. Located in Taixing, Jiangsu Province, China, the plant will use low cost ethane and propane from North America. It will be part of SP Olefins 1100 KTA Light Hydrocarbon Utilization Project.
Key proprietary technology components include:
- Technip’s USC® furnaces and Heat-Integrated Rectifier System®,
- Technip’s Ripple Trays and Wet Air Oxidation process.
The project will be executed by Technip’s operating center in Houston, Texas, USA.
Stan Knez, President, Technip Stone & Webster Process Technology, said: “Technip’s proven ethane cracking technology and track record of recent gas cracker awards provide a solid foundation for this plant, which will be the first gas cracking ethylene plant in China. We also take pride in our long relationship with SP Chemicals, which started with an Ethylbenzene and Styrene Monomer plant that adopted Badger(2) proprietary technology and has been running very well since it started up in 2013.”
As a world leader in gas monetization, refining and petrochemicals, Technip has a strong expertise in proprietary equipment, technologies and licensing.
(1)SP Chemicals, a Singapore-based company, is one of the largest ion-membrane chlor-alkali and aniline producers in the People’s Republic of China (PRC). Backed by a 20-year track record, SP Chemicals manufactures and sells chlor-alkali products and related downstream products such as aniline, caustic soda, chlorine and chlorobenzene to PRC-based and export customers.
(2) Badger Licensing LLC, a 50/50 joint venture between affiliates of Technip and ExxonMobil Chemical Company, offers technology in the area of phenolics and styrenics.
About onshore products
- Ethylene is a hydrocarbon produced in the petrochemical industry by steam cracking, i.e. transformation of hydrocarbons by pyrolysis above 820°C. It is widely used in the production of consumer goods, such as plastics or polymers.
- Ultra Selective Conversion (USC®) coil technology is preferred for high-capacity, low-cost liquid and gas cracking capabilities. The technology has been installed in more than 60 furnaces during the last 10 years.
- Heat-Integrated Rectifier System (HRS®) efficiently and economically recovers ethylene from residue gas. The processing scheme is distinguished by ease of operation, simple installation and low maintenance costs.
- Ripple Trays are counter-current contact devices used to optimize liquid and vapor handling. Installed in towers, the trays are designed to increase production capacity by improving distillation, absorption, stripping and heat transfer service.
- Wet Air Oxidation technology is used to process spent caustic produced from ethylene or other petrochemical units. It produces an environmentally friendly discharge from process plants which can be treated in conventional waste treatment facilities.
Technip is a world leader in project management, engineering and construction for the energy industry.
From the deepest Subsea oil & gas developments to the largest and most complex Offshore and Onshore infrastructures, our 36,000 people are constantly offering the best solutions and most innovative technologies to meet the world’s energy challenges.
Present in 48 countries, Technip has state-of-the-art industrial assets on all continents and operates a fleet of specialized vessels for pipeline installation and subsea construction.
Tél. +33 (0)1 49 01 87 81
Tél. +33 (0)1 47 78 34 83
Investor and Analyst Relations
Tél. +33 (0)1 47 78 66 74
Tel. +33 (0)1 85 67 43 81
Tél. +33 (0)1 47 78 67 32
Find us on
Technip shares are listed on the Euronext Paris exchange and traded in the USA on the OTCQX marketplace (OTCQX: TKPPY) as American Depositary Receipts.