Technip sets world records for ultra-deep water pipeline installation
Technip set two new industry records within the framework of Shell’s Perdido Development in the Gulf of Mexico, which it operates on behalf of partners Chevron and BP:
- Deepest reeled flowline(1) installation at a water depth of 2,961 meters (9,713 feet),
- Deepest reeled steel catenary riser(2) installation at a water depth of 2,469 meters (8,100 feet).
The ultra-deep water Perdido field is located approximately 320 km (200 miles) south of Freeport, Texas. Installation was successfully completed in January 2009. The flowline and riser had a total length of 13.2 km (8.2 miles).
Technip’s operating center in Houston, Texas, executed this contract. Welding operations took place at the Group’s spoolbase located in Mobile, Alabama. The offshore installation was performed using the Deep Blue, Technip’s deepwater pipelay vessel.
Under the terms of separate contracts, Technip supplied the Perdido umbilicals as well as the hull and mooring system for the Spar(3) platform. Moored in about 2,400 meters of water (8,000 feet), this record breaking Spar will be the deepest spar production facility in the world and the first with Direct Vertical Access.
Following previous technological achievements such as the world first installation of steel catenary risers at 1,939 meters (6,360 feet) for the Na Kika project for Shell in the Gulf of Mexico in 2004, these new records further demonstrate the leadership of Technip in the ultra deep subsea market.
(1) Flowline: a pipe, laid on the seabed, which allows the transportation of oil/gas production or injection of fluids. Its length can vary from a few hundred meters to several kilometers.
(2) Riser: a pipe or assembly of pipes used to transfer produced fluids from the seabed to surface facilities, and transfer injection or control fluids from the surface facilities to the seabed.
(3) Spar: a cylindrical, partially submerged offshore drilling and production platform that is particularly well adapted to deepwater.
Technip is a world leader in the fields of project management, engineering and construction for the oil & gas industry, offering a comprehensive portfolio of innovative solutions and technologies.
With 23,000 employees around the world, integrated capabilities and proven expertise in underwater infrastructures (Subsea), offshore facilities (Offshore) and large processing units and plants on land (Onshore), Technip is a key contributor to the development of sustainable solutions for the energy challenges of the 21st century.
Present in 46 countries, Technip has operating centers and industrial assets (manufacturing plants, spoolbases, construction yard) on five continents, and operates its own fleet of specialized vessels for pipeline installation and subsea construction.
Technip Public Relations
Yves Gautier: Ph. +33 (0) 1 47 78 25 33
Floriane Lassalle-Massip: Tel. + 33 (0)1 47 78 32 79 email@example.com
Technip Investor and Analyst Relations
Kimberly Stewart: Tel. + 33 (0)1 47 78 66 74 firstname.lastname@example.org
Antoine d’Anjou: Tel. + 33 (0)1 47 78 30 18 email@example.com
The Technip share is listed on Euronext Paris exchange and over the counter (OTC) in the USA. ISIN FR0000131708