Technip awarded major subsea contract for BP in UK North Sea
Technip’s UK entity has been awarded a contract by BP and partners(1) to develop the subsea infrastructure for the Quad 204 project, located West of Shetland. This is Technip’s largest contract to date in the UK North Sea, worth approximately €600 million (around £500 million).
The Quad 204 project, approved in July 2011, involves replacing the existing Schiehallion production facility with a new purpose built FPSO(2), and installing extensive new subsea infrastructure. This major re-development will enable the potential recovery of an additional 450 million barrels of resource and extend production through to 2035.
The contract awarded to Technip UK covers a broad scope of work, including:
- removal of the existing Schiehallion FPSO and mooring system,
- recovery of all existing flexible risers(3) and dynamic umbilical systems(4),
- positioning and installation of a new FPSO and associated mooring system and anchor piles,
- supply and installation of 21 dynamic flexible risers,
- installation of four static and dynamic umbilicals,
- coating, welding and installation of 15 steel pipelines, totaling 50 kilometers,
- supply and installation of numerous flexible jumpers(5),
- installation of various manifolds, jumpers and infrastructure associated with the field development.
Frédéric Delormel, Executive Vice President and COO Subsea stated: “This award is proof that the North Sea is still an important source of opportunities for large and technological developments. The award follows several other contract successes in the UK for Technip and further reinforces our leadership in the region, as well as our relationship with a major client.”
Knut Boe, Senior Vice President, Technip’s North Sea Canada Region said: “We are extremely pleased to be supporting BP with the Quad 204 project. It is a significant milestone for the United Kingdom Continental Shelf both in terms of size and scope and is a fantastic example of Technip’s ability to deliver large, complex developments. Furthermore, as a result of Quad204 and other contract wins we will be looking to grow our Aberdeen based team over the next year.”
Trevor Garlick, Regional President BP North Sea, said: “We are investing in North Sea assets with growth potential. The re-development of the Schiehallion and Loyal fields are a key part of this. We look forward to working with Technip UK to deliver what is one of the UK’s largest ever subsea installation contracts.”
The offshore campaign is expected to begin in 2013. Technip’s UK based office near Aberdeen will project manage the contract and the spoolbase in Evanton, Ross-Shire will fabricate the 15 steel pipelines. Technip’s facility in Le Trait, France will manufacture all flexible pipelines. Various vessels from Technip’s fleet will be used to execute this project and these will also be managed from the Aberdeen office.
(1) The Quad 204 Partners and their percentage interests are; BP Exploration Operating Company Limited (36.3%), Shell U.K. Limited (36.3%), Hess Limited (12.9%), Statoil (U.K.) Limited (4.84%), OMV (U.K.) Limited (4.84%), Murphy Petroleum Limited (4.84%).
(2) FPSO: Floating Production and Storage Offloading facility.
(3) Riser: A pipe laid on the seabed, which allows the transportation of oil/gas production or injection of fluids. Its length can vary from a few hundred meters to several kilometers.
(4) Umbilical: an assembly of steel tubes and/or thermoplastic hoses which can also include electrical cables or optic fibers used to control subsea structures from a platform or a vessel.
(5) Jumper: a short section of pipe for the connection of two subsea structures.
Technip is a world leader in project management, engineering and construction for the energy industry.
From the deepest Subsea oil & gas developments to the largest and most complex Offshore and Onshore infrastructures, our 30,000 people are constantly offering the best solutions and most innovative technologies to meet the world’s energy challenges.
Present in 48 countries, Technip has state-of-the-art industrial assets on all continents and operates a fleet of specialized vessels for pipeline installation and subsea construction.
Investor and Analyst Relations
Kimberly Stewart: Tél. + 33 (0)1 47 78 66 74 email@example.com
Christophe Bélorgeot: Tél. +33 (0)1 47 78 39 92
Floriane Lassalle-Massip: Tél. + 33 (0)1 47 78 32 79 firstname.lastname@example.org
Technip shares are listed on the NYSE Euronext Paris exchange and the USA over-the-counter (OTC) market as an American Depositary Receipt (ADR: TKPPY).