Technip is the leading manufacturer of umbilicals - both steel and thermoplastic, providing connections between subsea equipment and platforms or floating production systems, as well as enabling control from the surface. The Group, through its Technip Umbilicals (TU) group of companies, operates four manufacturing sites in Newcastle upon Tyne (UK), Houston (USA), Lobito (Angola) and Johor (Malaysia).
Umbilicals - the Critical Link
Umbilicals form the critical link between a subsea production arrangement and a remote facility providing control, power, communications and chemical services. Applications include production control, chemical injection, subsea pumping and processing, gas lift and underground gas storage among others.
Umbilical system design is determined by several factors including water depth, function, environmental conditions and temperature. Technip Umbilicals’ experienced and dedicated engineering team provide the optimum design for its clients and their needs.
Umbilical functions may include:
- Steel tube and/or thermoplastic hose fluid conduits to provide hydraulic control and chemical injection service
- Low voltage electrical power and communications provided via signal cables, fibre optic cables and power conductors
- Medium voltage electrical power conductors Chemical injection lines for use in corrosion inhibition and prevention of wax and scale build-up
- Large bore centre tubes for bulk chemical injection or gas lift functions
Utilizing its global umbilical manufacturing facilities, Technip provides its clients with solutions, whatever the application and environmental conditions. With umbilical systems available from the Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia, TU is a truly global provider of umbilicals and subsea solutions.
A Complete Package
In addition to umbilical manufacture, TU is also pleased to offer supporting subsea products and services including subsea jumpers, flying leads, topside and subsea hardware and onshore/offshore support services which are essential to the completion of the umbilical system. Benefits include:
- Commonality of components with the main umbilical
- Reduced risk of compatibility & interface problems
- Access to technical knowledge and experience of Technip and Angoflex
- Engineers and manufacturing staff with expertise and flexibility of approach
Skilled engineers to support offshore testing and supervision during installation and hook-up.
Flying leads, also known as ‘jumpers,’ support connections between subsea structures such as manifolds, trees and termination units. The leads are ‘flown’ into place using remote operating vehicles (ROVs).
Technip’s dedicated manufacturing facilities have been established in the UK, US, Angola and Malaysia in order to supply both steel tube and thermoplastic assemblies, stab plates and termination hardware, including hydraulic fittings, couplings and electrical connectors.
Subsea termination units, topside umbilical termination units and hydraulic power units are among some of the hardware items available directly from TU.
TU has dedicated engineering resources available to support our Clients needs through all phases of the project life cycle including front end engineering, project execution and after sales support.
We offer a comprehensive range of umbilical engineering, design and support services including mechanical testing of all umbilical components and umbilicals structures. Our predictive capabilities include:
- Flex fatigue performance of an umbilical design
- Umbilical tensile strength
- Thermal analysis of umbilicals
- Dynamic analysis
- Global analysis
- Structural analysis
- Sea-bed stability
- Material compatibility and service life
- Crush friction properties
- Finite element analysis
TU also design and supply all hardware and ancilliary items related to the umbilical, both for topsides and subsea including pulling heads, umbilical hang-offs, flying leads, subsea terminations and repair joints.