With more than 50 years of experience in the oil refining sector, Technip has been involved in the design and construction of 30 grassroots refineries and completed more than 100 major expansion or revamp projects in more than 75 countries. We are also one of the few engineered companies in the world to have engineered 10 grasssroot refineries since 1990.
Full Range of Services
Technip manages all aspects of oil refining projects, from conceptual design to turnkey delivery. Our vast and successful experience in the design and construction of refining units also includes:
- 30 grassroots refinery projects with capacities up to 400,000 bpsdsince 1958,
- Extensive experience with any type of process unit in the oil refining industry with a total of over 840 individual process units,
- Strong expertise in refining master planning including integrated petrochemical complexes,
- Proven track record in process design of open-art refinery units,
- Proprietary and alliance technologies in hydrogen and key refining processes.
Close collaboration with international licensors
Being a leader in engineering and construction in refining,Technip has unlimited access to best-in-class technologies thanks to strong long-lasting relationships with all reputed licensors. We have a strong know-how in licensors selection activities and proven capabilities in integrating and developing multi-licensor packages, optimized design for utilities, off-sites and interconnectings.
Technip Stone & Webster process technologies in refining
Fluid Catalytic Cracking (FCC)/Resid Fluid Catalytic Cracking
Technip’s FCC process, developed jointly with Axens, IFP and Total, offers refiners superior operating performance, increased profitability and on-stream reliability over a wide range of feedstock and product flexibility. To date, we have licensed 55 grassroots units and performed more than 250 revamp projects.
The following technologies were developed and commercialized by SINOPEC Research Institute of Petroleum Processing (RIPP) in the People’s Republic of China. Technip sells the technologies outside of China for the Institute.
- Deep Catalytic Cracking (DCC)
In alliance with SINOPEC, Technip provides a cost-effective and commercially proven option for maximizing the production of polymer-grade propylene from a catalytic cracker. A total of 18 DCC units have been licensed with a total feed rate of approximately 20 million tons per year.
- Catalytic Pyrolysis Process (CPP)
CPP is a high-severity catalytic process that has the advantage of maximizing the production of both ethylene and propylene in varying proportions from heavy, low-value feedstocks. The first commercial CPP unit achieved startup in 2009.
- Maximizing Iso-Paraffins Technology (MIP)
Maximizing iso-paraffins technology is an advanced FCC technology that converts heavy feedstocks into high-yield clean gasoline with more iso-paraffins and less olefins, sulfur and benzene than conventional FCC gasoline. There are more than 25 commercial MIP units in operation.
- Clean Gasoline and Propylene Technology (CGP)
This process is a new generation FCC technology for catalytically cracking heavy feedstocks into clean gasoline and propylene. Its propylene yield is significantly higher than high-severity FCC, while its gasoline quality is dramatically improved. There are 15 commercial CGP units in operation.
Refinery Offgas Recovery
By using proprietary technology, Technipis able to recover valuable products from refinery offgases. Our advanced contaminant removal technology applications ensure product quality for downstream petrochemical processes, acting as a bridge between refining and petrochemicals.
Propylene Recovery Units
Based on extensive C3 splitter experience with proven vapor/liquid equilibrium and demonstrated contaminant removal knowledge, Technip designs propylene recovery units that produce on-spec polymer-grade propylene and reduce energy consumption and capital investment costs.
BenzOUT™ Gasoline Benzene Reduction Technology
BenzOUT™ is a reformate alkylation process that converts benzene into high octane alkylaromatic blending components by reacting benzene-rich streams with light olefins such as refinery grade propylene. Developed by ExxonMobil Research and Engineering Company and licensed through Badger Licensing LLC, this patented technology avoids the octane loss and hydrogen consumption associated with alternative options of benzene saturation.
Refining Proprietary Equipment
Technip’s proprietary equipment offerings for FCC technologies include the following:
- Trouble-free, high-efficient feed injectors for optimal yields,
- Riser termination devices (RS2) and/or vapor quench technology to minimize undesirable post-riser reactions,
- Stripper structured packing for high catalyst circulation rates and reduced steam consumption,
- Catalyst coolers with the highest operating reliability in the industry,
- Low-maintenance high-efficiency combustion air rings,
- Spent catalyst distributors for improved catalyst regeneration and NOx reduction.