Pioneering Umbilical Design
Design and Manufacture
Technip Umbilicals is constantly looking forward. We have built our global presence on our pioneering developments and advanced technologies and provide customized umbilical solutions for all client requirements.
Since the 1970s, when the first subsea production systems were installed, we have been at the forefront of the umbilical sector providing subsea solutions to become the world-leader in thermoplastic hose, steel tube and electrical cable umbilicals. Technip Umbilicals are experts in umbilical solutions from concept select to installation, from ultra-deep waters to extreme temperatures and pressures. We are skilled in supplying subsea products and services to every challenging environment.
Our track-record includes the world’s deepest subsea development, Shell Perdido in the Gulf of Mexico at nearly 3000m and the worlds heaviest umbilical, BP Skarv for West of Shetland. As the only umbilicals supplier that is committed to manufacturing in West Africa, Technip Umbilicals has provided umbilicals to many large and complex West African developments including Block 31, Dalia, Kizomba, Pazflor and Clov.
Technip Umbilicals has dedicated engineering resources available to support our clients through all phases of the project life cycle. We offer a comprehensive range of umbilical engineering, design and support services, including mechanical testing of all umbilical components and umbilical structures. Our predictive capabilities include:
- Flex fatigue performance of an umbilical design
- Umbilical tensile strength
- Thermal analysis of umbilicals
- Dynamic analysis
- Global analysis
- Structural analysis
- Sea-bed stability
- Material compatibility and service life
- Crush friction properties
- Finite element analysis
- Concept and FEED/PRE-FEED studies support
We also have the in-house capability to design and supply all hardware and ancillary items related to the umbilical, both for topsides and subsea including pulling heads, umbilical hang-offs, Dynamic bend stiffeners and latching mechanisms, subsea terminations, mudmats, stabplates, repair joints and HFL/SFL/Electrical flying leads.
Research and design
At Technip Umbilicals, we are committed to expanding the limits of what is possible through innovation, based on the needs of our customers to drive their success. We have pioneered the design and qualification of new solutions for a broad spectrum of harsh environments and dynamic applications that require superior engineering and product quality. With a dedicated Development team and well-equipped Test Services department, we take a proactive approach to identifying the future needs of the industry. Areas of R&D focus include:
- Improvement in umbilical/functional component structure in terms of performance and reliability
- Development and enhancement of mathematical modelling and analytical tools to further expand engineering predictive capabilities
- Improvements in hardware design to meet increasingly harsh environmental conditions
- Improvements in the installation capabilities of umbilical and hardware designs for ultra deep-water static and dynamic service
- Integration of power cores into umbilicals and impact on the umbilical structure and other functional components
- Improved performance thermoplastic hoses for chemical injection service and deep-water installations
- Development of alternative strength members for use in umbilical structures
- Subsea distribution systems hardware development and validation